Permit / Non-Permit Requirements


Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure; or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the above mentioned codes; or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the City of Goliad and obtain the required permits.

The following is a list of permits that are required prior to commencing work:


Plumbing – including excavation and/or trenching of water, sewer and/or gas service systems; water heaters and water softener systems.



Fire suppression sprinklers and stand pipes

Lawn irrigation systems – including installation and/or replacement of double check valves, backflow prevention assemblies, pressure reduction valves, etc.

Swimming pools, above and in ground type; and spas/hot tubs

Fences – new installation

Signs – temporary and permanent

Construction trailer office

Temporary structures

Accessory buildings – includes storage sheds that are (120) one hundred twenty sq. ft. or larger , greenhouses, gazebos, bath/pool houses


Gas Tanks – installation and /or removal

Curb cuts

Street cuts

Fire Hydrants

Flood Plain Construction or Modifications

Flatwork (concrete) includes free standing slabs, patios, sidewalks and/or driveways

Patio covers and enclosures including sunrooms

Roofing – installation and or replacement

Siding, soffit, fascia

Window Replacement

Solar panels





Food and Beverage

Temporary Food

Swimming Pool – Annual

Foster Care – Child and Adult

Home Occupation

For any permit types not specifically listed above, please contact the Inspections Division to ask if a permit is required.


Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of the code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:


Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the radio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two to one.

Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

Temporary motion pictures, television and theater stage sets and scenery.

Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purpose, but not including service systems.

Swings and other temporary playground equipment accessory to one and two-family dwellings.

One Story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, Playhouses, and similar uses on the same lot as a one or two family dwelling: provided the floor area is 120 square feet or less and the structure can be moved if necessary, except where located in a flood hazard area.

The foundation for a detached accessory structure, storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, if any, will require a flatwork permit.

Areas located in floodplain hazard areas will require permits.

Replacement Fences on the property of a one or two family dwelling, provided they comply with the following criteria, except where located in flood hazard area.

The fence complies with all of the applicable requirements of the City of Goliad Unified

Development code including but not limited to height location and materials.

The replacement fence is in the same location, the same height and of the materials as the fence being replaced (e.g., a 6” wood privacy fence for a 6” wood privacy fence or a 4” chain link fence for a 4’ chain link fence).


Normal maintenance work, such as replacement of lamps, sockets, fuses, drop cords, snap switches, or other similar minor repairs as may be permitted by the building official or designee or assigned inspector.

Connection of portable electrical equipment to suitable existing permanently installed receptacles.

Replacement of a motor of the same horsepower and rating and installation of pressure devices and similar controls, when the electrical supply for the same has been properly installed by a licensed electrician.

The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to electrical equipment used for radio and television transmission, but does apply to equipment and wiring for power supply and the installations of towers and antennas.


Portable heating appliances.

Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.


Portable heating appliances.

Portable ventilation equipment.

Portable cooling unit.

Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this chapter.

Replacement of any part which does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.

Portable evaporative cooler.

Self-contained refrigeration system containing ten pounds or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of one horsepower or less.


The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove or replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection performed.

The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.